Reasons for Stress:work overload; time pressures; information
overload Internal Reasons for Stressfalse beliefs; uncontrolled
desires; lack of enthusiasm (laziness); negative emotions; uncontrolled
body, mind, and speech
Bodily Symptoms of a Stressed Person:
Behavioral Symptoms of a Stressed Person:
- Tense muscles
- Irregular breathing
- Dry mouth
- Cold hands and feet
- Loose bowel movement
- Jittery/shaky hands
- Frequent urination
Emotional Symptoms of a Stressed Person:
- Biting nails
- Social withdrawal
- Undisciplined & disorganized lifestyle
Diseases caused by Stress/Tension:
- Bad Dreams
- Mood Instability
- Crying Screaming
- Slow Decision-Making
- Lack Of Creativity
How to be Free from Tension:
- High blood pressure
- Pain in joints (arthritis)
To decipher a person’s personality, look at
his relationship with his family members. In this age of convenience, tolerance
is decreasing and thus, families are breaking apart. Under these circumstances,
in order to make family life pleasant and united, the following things are
- Do not follow a life of leisure.
- Do not accept responsibility beyond your limits.
- Do not go against your inner voice.
- Try to learn to live in the present.
- Control yourself when it comes to unnecessary wishes/desires.
Peace in Family Life:
Process of Controlling Anger:
- Families should be small.
- One meal should be taken and one bhajan sung daily together as a
- There should be weekly meetings to exchange mutual thoughts - good
qualities as well as faults should be discussed. Understand each other’s
feelings in a proper way.
- We should think about the way we feel toward each other. Is it selfish
(based on the usefulness of the other person) or is it intimate? If
the feelings are selfish, then you are living not in a home, but in
a hotel. The mentality in a home is not one of selfishness, but one
of intimacy and surrender. The difference between a home and a hotel
can be analogous to the difference between a bird’s nest and a cage.
The nest in itself is a home, whereas the cage is loaded from the
outside. Therefore, the nest represents security while the cage represents
- Religion should not start from a holy place, but from the home.
- Family members should keep their needs limited.
- Learn to tolerate each other peacefully & treat all equally.
- Do not have too many expectations of each other.
- Pain in joints (arthritis)
- Be self-reliant. Do your work yourself
- Treat the children in an appropriate manner. Scolding them and taking
an extremely authoritative position shatters their mental personality.
Praise the good and successful acts of children.
- The right time to indoctrinate children with good values starts
from conception and progresses through 12 years of age. By age 12,
children have matured and then it is difficult to teach them the right
- All members of the family, at their convenience, should practice
Maun (keeping silent) for 1 hour daily.
- No member of the family should have bad habits.
- No member of the family should be looked down upon or neglected.
- Discipline is the backbone of the family. Therefore, the young should
respect their elders & the elders should treat the young with affection.
- Effort should be made to uproot all the bad and evil ways.
- Excessive greed & great ambition break apart a family. Keep away
- Develop the mentality of helping others even at the cost of putting
yourself in trouble
- All work should be performed not as a burden, but joyfully with
a sense of worship
- Family members should have a peaceful and sweet nature. Anger destroys
peace in a family. Thus, develop the habit of always remaining peaceful
Anger is opposite, or the negative of one’s
nature, as peace is the permanent nature of one’s soul. Anger is not our
nature and it is not permanent, but forgiveness is our nature. There are
two forms of anger: External/Active & Inner/Passive - Passive/Inner anger
is more dangerous and harmful than External/Active anger. A person from
the outside can look very quiet, but inside they can be full of anger and
hate. Anger is a negative emotion that is difficult to control. It also
causes hindrances in social and spiritual advancement. Emotional people
get distressed easily, but by keeping anger under control, the emotional
personality is enhanced.
Reasons for Anger:
Keys to Control Anger:
- Fast breathing
- Red Face
- Higher rate of pulse
- Mental imbalance
- Interpersonal friction
- Negative karmic reaction
- Irregular eating habits
- Persistent unbalanced thinking & behavior
- High blood pressure
- Be responsible for your own anger
- When one person is angry, the other person should be quiet.
- Do not react at the negative things people say, and try not to accept
them. Try to learn to be quiet and calm in a very hot argumentative
- Practice controlling speech
- Avoid foods that are fried, spicy, & hot because they are stimulants
- Try to practice deep-breathing. Watch your breathing, feel your
breath passing through you for 15 minutes a day
- Practice meditation for 10 minutes each day