Chapter 4: Successful Personality
setting is very important for a successful personality. Without goals, our
effort becomes useless and without achievement. Thus, goal-setting is a
very necessary essential in life. Every person has his own unique goal,
as every person stands on a different level and also has a different interest
Why is goal setting important?
What kind of goals should be set?
- If the simple act of living is our only goal in life, then why should
we keep so many goals in trying to fulfill our life?
- Every person is aware of his inner weaknesses (i.e. anger, fear,
jealousy, etc. are hindrances for the progress of life). This is why
a person sets specific goals, so he can control his inner weaknesses
and move forward to a successful life.
- If one looks around him & sees that another person has a successful
life because he has set goals, then he will get inspiration to set
goals in his own life, which will in turn lead him to help others
- In any field of work and for the progress of life, it is necessary
to possess proper energy management skills. In order to focus energy
in a particular direction, one must have set goals in his life.
What should be our goals?
- The goal should be peaceful, purposeful, creative, and progressive
- Goals should be clear, good, and healthy.
Every person has different goals because
they are dependent on our individual interest, ability, inner capacity,
and external capacity. If one wants to be successful, then they should select
some of the below mentioned goals.
Key Points for Attitudinal Change:
- Achievement of Self-Actualization - Self-actualization is the only
goal for a spiritual person. He wants to try to find out the answers
to such questions as: Who am I?, Where have I come from?, and What
is the purpose of my being here? To reach this ultimate goal, one
must set some supporting sub-goals.
- Without having a strong desire to become a very successful person,
one cannot move one step ahead. Think of what you want to be in life.
- Attitudinal Change - Look into yourself and see which types of impulses
bother you. To change this kind of attitude, one should have a strong
willpower and for that, one should practice some experiments which
are full of trusting.
To live in happiness is also an important
goal of life, and to achieve that, one must improve the quality of self-restraint,
straightforwardness, tolerance, equanimity, simplicity, and contentment
that he exhibits. If one tries to set these kinds of goals, then the will
be successful in practical and material goals.
- I will try to practice being calm all the time.
- I will try to adjust/cooperate with other people
- I will try to dispose of my ego
- I will try not to reveal other people's secrets
- I will try to practice speaking less
Outline for Succeeding at these Goals:
Necessary Key Points for Goal Achievement:
- According to Shakespeare, if one does not set goals at the appropriate
time, then he has to exert double energy in making it happen.
- Once you have set your goals, your attitude, thought process, energy,
and practice should be put forth towards reaching those goals.
- Once you have decided on a goal, stick to it and do not keep on
Hindrances in the Goal Achievement
- To accept all of the obstacles and difficulties that come in our
- Keep the goals constantly in our minds, and do not lose sight of
or forget about our goals
- Do not waste your energy in an opposite direction of the goal
- Blind Faith
- Social fear - what would people say/think?
- Lack of Patience
In the Uttradhyan scripture, Lord Mahavir
said to Gautam Swami, "This body is mortal, our life span is short, and
life is full of sufferings." This is why you should not postpone yourself
from doing something because it will increase your karma. This saying of
Lord Mahavir gives us the inspiration to utilize every moment, provided
it is used in a proper manner. The person who destroys time is allowing
time to destroy him. There are two logical reasons for not wasting time.
First, the work that has to be done at a certain time should not be postponed,
because after the time has passed away, the work can never be done anymore.
Second, we cannot store time or even save time, because once time is gone
it is gone forever.
Try to comprehend how important and valuable time is:
One can imagine how much time
we waste during our lifetime, by looking at the figures accordingly. If
a person's age is approximately 75 years, then:
- If you want to know the value of one year, ask the student who failed
in the exam.
- If you want to know the value of one month, ask the mother who gave
birth to her child
- If you want to know the value of one week, ask the editor of a weekly
- If you want to know the value of one day, ask the worker who earns
his bread for the day.
- If you want to know the value of one hour, ask the family whose
house was on fire.
- If you want to know the value of one minute, ask the traveler who
had missed the flight.
- If you want to know the value of one second, ask the person who
was close to death in an accident.
- (1) 25 years spent sleeping
- (2) 5 years spent talking
- (3) 1 year spent talking on the telephone
- (4) 8 years spent on different entertainment, games played in school
& college, TV, movies, playing cards, etc.
- (5) 6 years spent eating
- (6) 2 years spent drinking water
- (7) 5 years spent taking a shower
- (8) 5 years spent traveling
- (9) 3 years spent waiting on somebody
- (10) 10 years spent on sickness
- (11) 70 days spent looking in mirrors.
Time Management Key Points:
- Always make a decision with careful thinking and with patience,
but do not delay putting it into action
- Make a list of necessary goal achievements.
- Make your own selections from the work list.
- Decide which work would be suitable or beneficiary at a certain
- Give priority to selecting creative work.
- Accept the help of others if it is necessary.
- Do the work wholeheartedly.